Skip to content

Calling Jeep

Great game, shockingly poor beta testing...CDV in a nutshell

Moderator: Edpow1

Postby Asmodain » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:30 pm

Weaker side armor, huh? Possibly. AI usually rushes(back ups) against any defencelines. Might be a nifty AI bug, again.

Anyways, I don't like the tank modeling in Blitzkrieg. It's so semi-realistic, and I happen to hate "semi-realistic" games. Perhaps my negativism is caused by the high hopes I had for Blitzkrieg.

Seriously though, you cannot possibly praise the pathfinding, or even say it is decent. It's practically non-existing. You have to frustrate yourself with petty things like hand-guiding numerous tanks over a bridge, one by one. If you just click and do something else at the time, your tanks might of found an "alternative short-cut", which usually ends up in their doom.

Hmm, shift, didn't know that. Perhaps this is the reason why I've always been so annoyed at CDV games. Was this in the tutorial, or am I just blind?

Netcode thing was told to me by either Jeep or Sonnova, either one. I forgot. :-P

I actually remember a Nival guy promising the game would be tactical based. When playing and tempering with editors etc., I noticed there is just no chance to create "Ihantala wonder"-outcomes/situations.
Also the campaign, which was hyped to have everything, was a big disappointment. It was very straight forward, with frustrating random missions. You got a 6(?) core tanks, wow! The hype about having numerous tanks on the field was just that, hype. Ok, perhaps the AI or multiplayer games might have, but why not the player in singleplayer?

FLC on the other hand gets my praise for a simple reason; I happened to download the demo, it had practically no hype around it and it was NEW. Sure it has as many, or more flaws than Blitzkrieg, but everything it does, it does with Bitmap-style! :-D

I'm a realism freak novadays. Nothing is just not enough and I usually critize games(whine about them to you) that say they bring realism, which they don't. Blitzkrieg has decent graphics and probably is fun for people who are stepping into RTT games or just like "fast tempo action". This is what <start advertise>Flashpoint, Hearts of Iron, Close Combat, Steel Panthers and FDF do<end advertise>. ;-)

(pay no attention to my poor english)
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Asmodain » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Doctor Jeep</i>
<br />I am really annoyed with cdv for releasing blitzkrieg. God there are so many fundamental issues with the game I am surprised they had the cheek to release it as a full priced title.

One thing I noticed the other day is that all the shadows point in different directions! the sun is just about directly overhead of the infantry, to the south west of the trees and to the north west of the tanks.

this is bloody stupid!!! I mean, even a two year old knows that in daylight all shadows point in the same direction.

i think that Nival just cobbled together some crap from a few different sources, sold it to CDV as a "sudden strike killer" and left CDV to hype it up.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<begin laugh>...<end laugh>
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Arnie » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:16 pm

Oh hey Jeep, didnt see your name among the many Asmodain[8D][:D]
Didnt they promise realtime change of the direction of the sun? [:D] Hehe, well, you're right.. but I didnt even notice that.. haha. Whatever. [;)]

I dont remember Blitzkrieg advertising with big armies.. but its possible to run with quite a number of units.. although the mission are not setup this way.. apart from the historical missions. Whats the problem with the campaigns? I kinda like them.

And you're right about the bridges, they are causing frustrating moments at times.. overall pathfinding is good though. I only found the bridges causing strange misshaps.

And good multiplayer maps make for good tactical battles in which its most important to hit the enemy at the rear or sides. Its not just for starters. I'd say its not for starters as people who will from C&C or are new to RTS games might have a problem with the carefull approach that has to be taken to beat a mission.
Arnie
strafkommando
strafkommando

Postby Asmodain » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:45 pm

The publisher-gimps at CDV brassed with the "huge armies you can control and destroy".

Overall the pathfinding needs improvement, plenty of it too. Battles are _a bit_ confusing, when the AI cannot even chace the battered and fleeing enemy. This bothered me when I was fighting on 2-3 different "fronts". I <b>can't say for sure</b>, but from what I recall there were no formations either.

I can't say with experience on this issue, but the multiplayer games were pretty much the same as they were in Sudden Strike(Forever and 2). The lines seemed to be straight lines, usually across the middle. Each side had their riverbank, ridge or cliff or open ground and town. There seemed to be no way to recover from a slight set back, unless the oppposition made terrible mistakes, lost a lot of players or just stopped playing.

My hopes are now high for Panzers, or not. Perhaps Hearts of Iron 2 or Axis & Allies will bring something more suitable for my taste.
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby doctor jeep » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:54 pm

Well, CDV have completely missed the boat. they nearly cornered the market in ww2 rts games. They had a great reputation on the back of sudden strike 1.0: which was a classic. they then released a succession of cash-in crap of which blitzkrieg is the latest example.

There's nothing particularly bad about blitzkrieg, its just that I expect a lot more from CDV than to rehash the same gaming concepts every six months and expect the gaming public to buy up any old crap they release.

I have heard that in Blitzkrieg 2, because the blitzkrieg engine (har har) cannot cope with Line-of-fire obstacles, they are having australian units that never leave australia. All the australian units have to do is stay where they are and point there gun barrels to the ground.

Also they have special "ground torpedo" V3s. these missiles fire directly through houses and hills just like an aquatic torpedo. Also, to balance the lack of AI, they never miss.

to make up for these obvious deficiencies in gameplay they have made sure that using either of these units on multiplay (or any other unit too for that matter), will result in sync losses and crashes: a special feature of every CDV ww2 game.

[:I][:I][:I]
doctor jeep
Ze Fuhrer
Ze Fuhrer

Postby Gapiro » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:47 am

I think its a case of u control a huge army that gets destroyed , no matter what you do.
Gapiro
Herr General

Postby Arnie » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:07 am

Whatever, I just had great fun finishing the German campaign..

I have to play more multiplayer games to get a good feel about how that is, but the few I did play were good fun and if you have good maps it wont be as frontline as SSF was. On the contrary, many times its possible to sneak units through and often you have to outmanouver the enemy or lure him into ambushes to win. But as I said, I will check out multiplayer some more to see if its really a stayer. [:)]

So what do you guys play these days? Did you stick to SS2 with RWM? or are you all into Frontline Command [}:)][:D]
Arnie
strafkommando
strafkommando

Postby Gapiro » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:38 pm

Atm it seems we have a large amount of ss2 rwm players.
Gapiro
Herr General

Postby Asmodain » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:42 pm

Are there any realism mods coming out for Blitzkrieg? Perhaps something like that would motivate me and a few other old Steel Panther players to play it.
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Arnie » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:37 am

Well, the guys at Road to victory made a little realism mod, you can download it here: http://www.roadtovictory.co.uk/ under download -> road to victory -> R2V Realism 1.2

It changes a few things like the range of 88's, tanks and other things.. didnt really check it out myself, but it might look like what you want.
Arnie
strafkommando
strafkommando

Postby Asmodain » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:09 pm

How about the LoS?
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Arnie » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:16 pm

You can read it at the bottom of that page, its all there. It doesnt look like it changes alot to LOS apart from the fact that LOS is reduced for heavy tanks and improved for scout units. They changed alot to the sniper.
Arnie
strafkommando
strafkommando

Postby Arnie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:55 am

Hello guys, thought I'd drop in to ask how you all are? And ofcourse if you have any new experiences with Blitz or other WW2 games..[xx(]

Asmodain, hows Frontline command going? Still strong?

Howdie[8D]
Arnie
strafkommando
strafkommando

Postby Gapiro » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:53 pm

Hey arnie
Gapiro
Herr General

Postby Asmodain » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arnie</i>
<br />Asmodain, hows Frontline command going? Still strong?
I play it sometimes. Only played a few missions so far(it's a Bitmap Brothers, gotta enjoy it).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arnie</i>
<br />Howdie[8D]
[:0]
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Blitzkrieg 2