Skip to content

Invasion of France

Moderator: Edpow1

Invasion of France

Postby Edpow1 » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:18 pm

I only found out today that while the Germans invaded France through neutral Belgium using an army group B, took the Netherlands and north Belgium usning army group A and supressed the Maginot line using an army group C the Italians attempted to invade France from the south. The attacked where there were hardly any defences and were pushed back! Typical Italian forces. The french were angry when they signed the treaty with the Germans as they had to surrender to italians to, who they had easily been defending with very few troops.
Edpow1
Herr Oberst

Invasion of France

I only found out today that while the Germans invaded France through neutral Belgium using an army group B, took the Netherlands and north Belgium usning army group A and supressed the Maginot line using an army group C the Italians attempted to invade France from the south. The attacked where there were hardly any defences and were pushed back! Typical Italian forces. The french were angry when they signed the treaty with the Germans as they had to surrender to italians to, who they had easily been defending with very few troops.
Edpow1
Herr Oberst

Invasion of France

Edpow1
Herr Oberst

Postby Asmodain » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Edpow1</i>
<br />I only found out today that while the Germans invaded France through neutral Belgium using an army group B, took the Netherlands and north Belgium usning army group A and supressed the Maginot line using an army group C the Italians attempted to invade France from the south. The attacked where there were hardly any defences and were pushed back! Typical Italian forces. The french were angry when they signed the treaty with the Germans as they had to surrender to italians to, who they had easily been defending with very few troops.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Actually, Italins didn't know if they should ally with Germany, but after Germany "proved" themselves by invading some parts of France, Italy decided to join in and hunger some areas for themselves(and the navy).

German plan was a revamp of Mannsteins(?) old plan. IMHO the plan would of failed, if they wouldn't of attacked from the south, through the mountains. They met very few resistance and the tanks pushed through France, dividing it in two.
I think Guderian was one of the persons revising this plan.

EDIT: This is "MUTU", I revised this from a book I read about a year ago. :)

Shame this plan can't be used in HoI, as Maginot line stretches from Switzerland to the lines of Belgium, so the only way to attack is to attack through Belgium.
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Gapiro » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:10 pm

Actually, italy only joined the axis because of the abysinnia crisis. Italy wannted part of africa, and so, they invaded abyssinia. The british and french acted against the italians by bloackading the Suez cannell and not helping them. The italians therefore wanted to join the aliies but this caused them to not join them
Gapiro
Herr General

Postby Asmodain » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:25 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gapiro</i>
<br />Actually, italy only joined the axis because of the abysinnia crisis. Italy wannted part of africa, and so, they invaded abyssinia. The british and french acted against the italians by bloackading the Suez cannell and not helping them. The italians therefore wanted to join the aliies but this caused them to not join them
Hmm, Italy was dying to get hands on the french navy and I haven't read that Mussolini had plans on joining the allies.
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Totenkopf » Fri May 02, 2003 8:04 am

It may have started well but Italy never really had its full heart into the war effort. The population was more peaceful than Germanys and didnr really have a reason for war like Germany.
Totenkopf
Hauptman

Postby Asmodain » Fri May 02, 2003 8:28 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Totenkopf</i>
<br />It may have started well but Italy never really had its full heart into the war effort. The population was more peaceful than Germanys and didnr really have a reason for war like Germany.
Uhm, Mussolini did motivate his people very efficiently though. I think italians were the best soldiers in the whole World War 2. They did many brave things, but things tend to fall apart when the commanders are dumb as boots(no strategical/tactical sense).
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Totenkopf » Fri May 02, 2003 10:39 am

They can be the best in the world but there is simply no excuse for having half your armies bum kicked but just 2 Tommy armored divisions over the span of 2-3 months.
Then again...when commanders are as dumb as boots..........

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM...vannila coffee
Totenkopf
Hauptman

Postby Asmodain » Fri May 02, 2003 5:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Totenkopf</i>
<br />They can be the best in the world but there is simply no excuse for having half your armies bum kicked but just 2 Tommy armored divisions over the span of 2-3 months.
Then again...when commanders are as dumb as boots..........

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM...vannila coffee
The commanders had the excuses. Mussolini and hes staff did bad choices with the commanders.

My dream army would consist of german/allied officers, german gear/tanks, italian troops and russian masses. :-D
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Totenkopf » Sun May 04, 2003 10:17 am

HERE - HERE!!!!!!

Thats a nice recipie for trouble [}:)]

MMMMMMMMMMM...........vannila coffee
Totenkopf
Hauptman

Postby Asmodain » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:59 am

Now that I overview my previous posts... Geez, what poor english someone can write!
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Totenkopf » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:25 am

Just look at my signature and it will all make sense!!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...................vannila coffee!!!!!!!
Totenkopf
Hauptman

Postby Asmodain » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:55 am

Hoho! Funny one. NOT!
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Totenkopf » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:37 am

Blow me Finland!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............vannila coffee!!!!
Totenkopf
Hauptman

Next

Return to Board index

Return to ww2