Skip to content

Wartime Atrocities

Moderator: Edpow1

Postby GD REICHSMINSTER Whittman » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:57 am

ORADOUR SUR GLANE IST A BIT OF A MYTH,,,ALL LOOKS A LITTLE ONE SIDED
THE SS WERE BOUND 2 GET THE BLAME,THE MAQUI WERE IN THAT TOWN WHICH DIDNT HELP NONE,IF U STUDY THE LEAD UP 2 THIS MYTH AND LOOK AND THE FIGHTIN AROUND THE AREA ALL WILL BE REVEALED,HOW DID THE BELL MELT IN THE CHURCH WHEN FIRE CAN ONLY REACH A CERTAIN TEMPERATURE,THE MAQUI HAD STORED LOADS OF TNT IN THERE WHICH CAUSED THE EXPLOSION,IF U VANT 2 KNOW MORE ASK ME KAMERADEN,AND WHILE UR AT IT LOOK UP ZE MALMEDY INCIDENT

HEIL
GD REICHSMINSTER Whittman
Unteroffizier

Postby Totenkopf » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:25 am

Yes tis a good song and quite true in its lyrics...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.................vannila coffee!!!!!!
Totenkopf
Hauptman

Postby TheDuke » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:13 pm

this is impossible to answer... I am surprised by some of the imature remarks here though as in any case it is clear who lowered the level of acceptable vilancet! As my Gandmother said 'ein Kopf Kohl wahr mehr wert als ein Menschen Leben"!

I don't think one can single out an atrocity as a German civilian push to Birkenau was as much as an atricty as any other person and it is sad to think that our fore fathers where so bloody supid to get into such a mess.

Let's look at the world now, all of the Eastern European countires joining the EU out of the own choice...

food for thought.

The Duke : ))
TheDuke
Volksturm

Postby Gapiro » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:16 am

hmm, interesting,
Hi The Duke
Who are you [:I]
Gapiro
Herr General

Postby TheDuke » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:41 pm

dunno how to answer that one...

a born and bred Bochumer now living in Cork (IRL)....

huge interrest in history fueld by my Grandefather who fought and was seriously injudes in the Eastern front.... so I have shelves of books backed up with the stories of the 'older generation'.

Hope that answers it.

TheDuke
Volksturm

Postby doctor jeep » Sun May 02, 2004 5:23 pm

hi duke! welcome to the forums mate!
but i am not sure if i understand that cabbage phrase :/

just my $.02:
I think its a bit difficult to sort out a single atrocity, simply because of the confusion with time frames. do you count birkenau as a single event, or a huge succession of little atrocities? At the end of the day I think a life is a life, and its pretty difficult to compare numbers about it.

Reading between the lines, Dresden was intended to show the nazi population of germany just what an awful stupid mistake they had made, and to leave such a stain on their collective psyche that they'd never ever try such stuff again. thats a pretty tenuous reason for the killing of so many people, but perhaps excusable if it worked.

somehow, I don't think it did. I watch some german tv, and there seems to be just as much (if not more) documentary coverage of the dresden (and other) raids as of germany's own crimes. The lesson germany collectively seems to have learnt was that "all war is bad and there are no good protagonists". In other words, germans use the bombing raids to assuage their conscience, and have learned very little. apart from that war is to be avoided.

Personally I think maybe they should have drawn the conclusion that german ideas of their own superiority are generally a bad thing, and that german expansionism leads to rather unpleasant consequences. especially to non-germans.

as Duke mentioned, we have a newly reunited and expansionist germany, eagerly discovering again the wonders of the eastern european low-wage labour force. I pointed this out to my austrian girlfriend who said "but its legal and peaceful, what can be wrong with it?". Just because its legal and peaceful doesnt necessarily mean that its right, or good.
doctor jeep
Ze Fuhrer
Ze Fuhrer

Postby bruhv » Sun May 02, 2004 8:50 pm

hi

would anyone like a nice cup of tea?

(sorry, i just feel such a 'deep' thread needs some light refreshments)

cake, penguin bars and rich teas available in the foyer ;]
bruhv
Oberkommando des Heeres
Oberkommando des Heeres

Postby TheDuke » Mon May 03, 2004 4:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think a life is a life, and its pretty difficult to compare numbers about it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

exactly, if the Nazis came allong and killed one of my kids than that would be single biggest attrocity!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Dresden was intended to show the nazi population of germany just what an awful stupid mistake they had made<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

my personal view is that this had little to do with the western war effort but more to show Staling that they where still 'mates' as America still desperately need their support to fight Japan (re invasion of Manchuria). I think that at that point there was littl to no concern for the Allies what the bombs fell. I am convinced that had the Americans the nuclear bomb they would have dropped it on Berlin, easier than sending over 200 bombmers but wiht the same effect.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">germans use the bombing raids to assuage their conscience, and have learned very little.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I must agree, I am German myself and spent half of my life living there. From TV coverage alone the difference astaunds me, in the UK/IRL there are allot of 1-2 hr programs, in Germany there is history about e.g. airplanes which touches 2-3mins on the NS subject.

The question I ask myself is how would I react if all my buddies got shot to pieces (probably in full view) and then to turn arround and say it was on huge mistake... I have no idea if I could.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Just because its legal and peaceful doesnt necessarily mean that its right<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I can totally understand the 'worries' the new EU statesd have, after all the have been forcefully occupied many times over, however I think we not live in a completely different social infrastructure and peace being most Europeans jearnings (just look at the mixed support for the Iraq war - those that did support it wanted to become buddies if the USA - a bad mistake!). Cheap labour is much bigger danger for the old EU states than the new and expecially small countries like Ireland will struggle cause the shot up to be one of the richest (where the EU model worked a treat).

Btw, bruhv-ahh, could I have that with sugar and milk plz [:D]

TheDuke
Volksturm

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to ww2